Are you a writer looking for the best laptops for writers on a budget? Well, if your answer is yes, then you are at the place. Below I have reviewed the best 10 best laptops for writers ⇣ .
As a blogger and writer, writing is a passion, and I love what I do.
Nowadays, most writers consider laptops as their best friend. And just like any best friend, you need a reliable laptop that will be there for you through thick and thin; a good laptop that will allow you to take your writing anywhere you want.
That’s why for writers, getting the perfect laptop for their daily activities is such a big deal. Most people believe that you can choose any laptop and start using it for their writing needs, but that’s not true at all.
While I was researching the best laptops for writers, I discovered that there are numerous things one needs to consider while buying a laptop for writing. Some of these factors include:
- Keyboard – The best laptop for writing should have a wide keyboard and backlit keyboard for easy and comfortable typing.
- Screen size – As a blogger, I would suggest you find a laptop with at least a 13-inch display.
- Battery life – As a writer or blogger, I would suggest you buy a laptop with impeccable battery life. It should provide at least 5 hours of battery life on a single charge. If you like travelling a lot, you will need to carry an extra battery as a backup.
- Overall speed – The overall speed of the laptop is determined by the amount of RAM installed. As a writer, you need to buy a laptop which has at least 8GB of RAM without having to sacrifice the laptop performance.
- Portability – You need to choose something lightweight if you are a writer or blogger that mostly works in an office or a certain workplace.
- Storage – For the storage, I suggest you find an SSD laptop which comes with at least 250GB of storage space. If you travel a lot, I would recommend you get yourself an external SSD drive.
Best Cheap Laptops for Writers Comparison
While choosing the best laptops for word processing can be quite a daunting task due to so many computer companies focusing their efforts on graphics and computer gaming, I have prepared this comprehensive review to help you make an informed decision. I have carefully selected, researched, and review each of the laptops described below so that you can ultimately choose the right one for you.
Take a look at our list of best laptops for writers in 2019! I will keep this updated as more cheap laptops for word processing hit the market.
Best Cheap Laptop for Writers Under $500
- 7th generation intel core i1-7100U processor (2.4GHz, 3MB L3 cache)
- 6-Inch Full HD (1920 x 1080) widescreen display and for ComfyView comes with LED-backlit display
- 4GB DDR4 memory, 1TB hard drive
- 8X DVD super multi double-layer drive (M-disc enabled)
- Up to hours of battery life
- Windows 10 Home operating system
- 11ac Wi-Fi featuring MU-NIMO technology (dual-band 2.4GHz and 5GHz)
- Bluetooth 4.1 connectivity
- Built-in HD webcam supporting High Dynamic Range (HDR)
Acer Aspire E 15 Review 2019
The Acer Aspire E 15 is one of the most reliable laptops for writers available in the market today. This notebook features a powerful hardware configuration capable of handling any task you throw at it. Not to mention, it comes with Windows 10 Home installed,
The laptop offers a wide range of features to suit all your writing needs. For starters, it comes with Windows 10 Home installed, a powerful 7th generation intel core i3-7100U processor, and a 4GB of RAM which delivers you great performance.
It also features a 15.6-inch 1080p display which gives you detailed images. For the graphics, the Acer Aspire E 15 is backed by 2GB of NVIDIA GeForce MX150 dedicated graphics card. For the storage capacity, this notebook provides fast 256GB of SSD drive, which opens large word documents at lightning speed.
This notebook comes with a battery life of up to 12 hours, which is a great bonus for writers who are always on the go. The keyboard of this notebook is good and better compared to other normal laptops of the range. Moreover, the keys are very sensitive and offer a splendid typing experience.
Best Chromebook for Writers
- Intel Celeron N3160 Quad-Core Processor 1.6GHz
- 100% Aluminum Chassis
- Google Chrome Operating System
Acer Chromebook 14 Review 2019
I have been using Acer Chromebook 14 for quite a long time and has been one of my favorite laptops for writing. So, if you are looking for the best laptop for writing under $300, you should seriously consider this Chromebook.
The interesting thing about this Chromebook laptop is that it is very lightweight, weighing 3.42 pounds only. The keyboard is well-spaced, hence offering a comfortable and intuitive experience while typing.
This laptop comes with a modern, sleek design, thanks to its fancy all-around aluminum chassis with a classic hairline-brush finish which makes it look and feel like a $1,000 laptop. This Chromebook laptop features an impressive 14-inch 1920×1080 LED-backlit IPS display, which is amazingly bright and crisp.
The Chromebook 14 delivers stunning overall performance, thanks to its 1.6GHz Intel Celeron Quad-Core N3169 processor. It comes with a 32GB of storage space – but that is something that should not suffice since it stores all data in the cloud. Therefore, you don’t have to worry about losing your data.
Best Mid-Range Laptop for Writers
- AMD Ryzen 3 3200U dual-core processor (up to 3.5GHz)
- 4GB DDR4 memory, 128GB SSD
- 6-inch full HD (1920x1080) widescreen LED-backlit IPS display
- AMD Radeon Vega 3 Mobile Graphics
- 1-USB 3.1 Gen 1 Port, 2 USB 2.0 Ports & 1 HDMI Port with HDCP support
- 11ac Wi-Fi; Backlit Keyboard
- Up to 7.5 Hours Battery Life
- Windows 10 installed
Acer Aspire 5 Slim Laptop Review 2019
The Acer Aspire 5 is another amazing laptop from Acer you can consider if you are looking for the best laptop for writing with reliable performance at an affordable cost. There are so many things to like about the Aspire 5, starting with the Full HD ComfyView widescreen display and Windows 10 installed in this laptop.
This 15.6-inch screen presents sharp and crisp images on its 1920×1080 matte IPS display panel. Under the hood, the Aspire 5 is powered by the AMD Ryzen 3 3200U dual-core processor paired with 4GB DDR4 of RAM and 128GB of storage. Not to mention, the overall performance of this notebook is smooth, no matter what task you throw at it.
This laptop provides a smooth and comfortable typing experience, thanks to its backlit keyboard and sizable palm rest area. The keys on the laptop are slightly curved with a friendly and couched feel for the best typing experience. Moreover, Aspire 5 offers a battery life of up to 7.5 hours, hence making it the best value for money.
Best Cheap Chromebook for Writers
- Features a flexible 360-degree hinge and a 12.5-inch FHD touchscreen
- Powerful Intel Core m3 processor with 64GB storage and 4GB RAM
- Boots up in seconds and comes with up to 10 hours of battery life
- Lightweight at 2.65 lbs. with the protection of an aluminum body
- Up to 10 hours of battery life
- Bright backlit illuminated keyboard
Asus C302CA-DHM4 Chromebook Flip Review 2019
The Asus C302CA-DHM4 Chromebook Flip (C302CA-DHM4) is another fascinating Chromebook for writing that worth considering. This sturdy laptop features a flexible 360-degree hinge and 12.5-inch full HD touchscreen, allowing you to use your Chromebook in tablet or laptop mode. The IPS technology provides excellent wide viewing angles as well.
For the performance, it comes with an Intel Core m5 processor paired with 4GB of RAM and 64GB of storage for fast and efficient performance. The Chromebook Flip C302 comes with 100GB of Google Drive storage where you can store all your files, including documents, videos, and photos.
Just like its name suggests, the Chromebook runs on Google Chrome OS. With its automatic updates and built-in antivirus protection, Chrome operating system free you from the worry of keeping your laptop safe, secure, and always up to date.
Moreover, you can comfortably and efficiently type anything, thanks to its full-sized, one-piece chiclet keyboard. This power-efficient Chromebook Flip C302 is uniquely designed to last for up to 10 hours on a single charge.
Best Laptop for Writers Under $300
- Intel Celeron N3060 Processor (2M Cache, up to 2.48 GHz)
- Storage: 16GB Flash Storage; No CD or DVD drive
- 6-inches HD 1366x768 Anti-Glare Display, with a 180-degree hinge for easy viewing
- Boots up in 9 seconds and continues to stay fast over time
- Up to 10 hours of battery life
- Chromebook runs on Chrome OS
- Built-in HDMI, USB ports, and an SD card reader
- Latest generation 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi
- Can open/edit MS Office files using free embedded Quick-Office editor or Google Docs
Asus Chromebook C202SA-YS02 Review 2019
The Asus Chromebook C202SA is the best Chromebook for writers under $300. It is one of the best Chromebooks you are going to find in this price range. At such affordable pricing, it combines a spending design with an impressive performance.
For the design, this Chromebook has a slim and lightweight design, weighing 2.65 pounds only – hence making it pretty easy to pack in the backpack and carry around. Most surprisingly, Asus claims that the Chromebook can withstand drops of up to 3.9 feet, thanks to its military-rugged construction. That’s not all; the keyboard is resistant to spills of up to 66 cubic centimeters.
The 180-degree hinge allows you to open the Chromebook for easy viewing fully. For the storage, this system offers a 16GB flash storage and 100GB of cloud storage where you can store all your files. When it comes to performance, this laptop comes with a 1.6 GHz Intel Celeron N3060 paired with Intel HD Graphics 400 and 4GB of RAM for absolute performance.
In terms of ports, the Asus Chromebook C202SA covers all of the basics. This laptop provides you with two high-speed USB 3.1 ports, a full-sized HDMI port, and an SD card reader. You will also get a headphone jack. For connectivity, the laptop comes with a dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.2.
The Asus C202 comes with an impressive 11.6-inch HD anti-glare display with a wide viewing angle that will enhance your Chrome OS experience while writing. It uses a native resolution of 1366×768, which is pretty common for Chromebooks of this size.
Best 2-in-1 Convertible Laptop for Writers
- High resolution 10-inch PixelSense Display, with 3:2 aspect ratio and 1800 x 1200 resolution
- 165-degree-angle kickstand
- An 8-megapixel rear-facing camera with autofocus and a 5-megapixel, high-resolution, front-facing camera
- Up to 9 hours of battery life
- Intel Pentium Gold Processor, paired with 8 GB of RAM and 128 GB storage
- Comes with Windows 10 in S mode installed
- Includes multitasking USB C, fast-charging Surface Connect, and headphone jack
- Bluetooth wireless 4.1 technology
Microsoft Surface Go Review 2019
The next product on the list is New Microsoft Surface Go. Pricing under $500, you get to enjoy one of the best Windows tablets. The Surface Go features everything you would love about the Surface Pro 6 – it that is impressively thin, lightweight, and affordable.
This fully-fledged Windows laptop comes with Windows 10 in S mode enabled, which means you can start using the laptop right away. Not to mention, this machine does not have any strange app compatibility issues which you may in some Chromebook laptops.
This sleek and slim, new Surface Go is designed with a stunning 10” PixelSense Display with a touchscreen that’s perfect for researching and writing. Furthermore, the gorgeous PixelSense display is perfect for watching movies on Netflix or YouTube in your downtime.
The machine is powered by Intel Pentium Gold processor paired with ample 8GB of RAM. More interestingly, the New Surface Go provides 128GB of storage capacity, which is a great treat for the Microsoft lovers. The nifty kickstand of this machine allows you to easily switch from tablet to laptop mode or Studio mode for binge-watching on Netflix.
This laptop offers reliable and smooth performance and can handle all your writing tasks without any interruptions. Plus, the New Surface Go offers an impressive battery life of up to 9 hours.
Cheapest Laptop for Writing Under $200
- Intel Celeron N3060 processor, 1.6GHz to 2.49GHz
- Intel HD Graphics 400
- 6” HD Anti-Reflective Display (1366x768), with 16:9 aspect ratio
- 4GB of RAM and 16GB of storage capacity
- Google Chrome operating system
- Bluetooth 4.0 technology
- Up to 11 hours on a single charge
- Ports: 1x HDMI, 1x USB3.0, 1x USB2.0, MicroSD Multi-media Card Reader, and 1 Headphone-out/Mic-in Combo
Samsung Chromebook 3 Review 2019
The Samsung Chromebook 3 is a lightweight and portable Chromebook that offers tons of amazing features that you would not expect from such a small machine. This Chromebook is a perfect choice if you are looking for a small affordable machine that you can tote around with you.
You will be amazed at how fast and reliable this small machine is. The Chromebook is powered by a 2.16GHz Intel Celeron N3050 processor which is combined with 4GB of RAM and 16GB of storage capacity. For the graphics, this machine comes with Intel HD Graphics 400 which delivers sharp and crisp images. The Samsung Chromebook 3 use the Google Chrome operating system, which is pretty secure and easy to use.
Its 11.6-inch display is pretty impressive. With a pixel resolution of 1366x768p, the Samsung Chrome 3 is brighter than its competitors. It provides decent viewing angles, as you can clearly see all the colors on the screen from any angle. The hinge is flexible and sturdy; plus, it allows you to tilt the screen up to 180 degrees for better viewing experience.
The Samsung Chromebook 3 offers an impressive battery life of up to 11 hours. This makes an excellent option for writers who like traveling. Weighing only 2.54 pounds, it is lightweight and slim design makes it easy to carry around with you.
Best Lenovo Laptop for Writers
- 6-Inch IPS Anti-glare HD (1366x768) 10-point Multi-touch Screen
- Intel Dual-Core i3-7100U 2.4 GHz Processor
- Integrated Intel HD Graphics 620
- 8 GB DDR4 SDRAM; 128 GB SSD
- Intel Dual Band Wireless 7265-AC (2x2) + Bluetooth v4.0 Combo M.2 Card
- Windows 10 Pro 64-bit operating system
- Flexible 360-degree hinge supports four modes: laptop, stand, tablet, and tent modes
- ENERGY STAR certified
Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 11e Review 2019
The next product in this list that you might want to consider is the Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 11e laptop. Lenovo is one of the most popular companies recognized for making quality and portable laptops. And the ThinkPad Yoga 11e is one of their most value-driven machines that is suitable for the budget-conscious writers. In terms of construction and its keyboard, this laptop is an ideal option for writing.
In terms of performance, the ThinkPad Yoga 11e uses Intel Dual Core i3-7100U processor with a clocking speed of up to 2.4GHz. This is combined with 8GB of RAM and 128GB SSD storage to offer you the modest performance that is acceptable for multitasking.
The keyboard is well-spaced with chiclet-style keys which offers a comfortable and easy typing experience. The IPS (In-Plane Switching) display offers bold colors which look great from different angles.
The ThinkPad Yoga 11e measures 11.81 by 8.27 by 0.88 inches and weighs 3.51 pounds, which makes it slightly heavier than other laptops on this list. It has a flexible 360-degree hinge which allows you to position the screen into four different modes: Tent, Display, Laptop, and Tablet.
Best Convertible Laptop for Writers Under $300
- Intel Celeron N3150 Quad-Core Processor 1.6GHz with Intel Burst Technology up to 2.08GHz.
- Google Chrome Operating System.
Acer Chromebook R11 Convertible Laptop Review 2019
The Acer Chromebook R11 is a versatile convertible laptop. It can be easily flipped 360 degrees into four different modes: notebook mode, display mode, tent mode, and tablet mode. It is suitable for writers and bloggers who mainly use Google Drive, Google Chrome, and standard Google Apps.
This machine is powered by Intel Celeron N3150 Quad-Core processor with a clocking speed of 1.6GHz. When paired with a 4GB of RAM and 32GB of internal storage, this Chromebook provides a pretty smooth performance even with several tabs opened. The machine starts slowing down with 11 browser tabs, and several apps open simultaneously. Generally, the Chromebook handles basic tasks incredibly well.
The Chromebook R11 sports a premium aluminum top cover with an attractive imprint using Acer nano-imprint technology, creating a unique textured metallic finish that helps you grip the laptop firmly but looks cool too.
Acer claims that the Chromebook R 11 is capable of providing up to 10 hours of battery life, thanks to its power-efficient CPU. You can drop the brightness level to increase battery life. Just like its predecessors, this machine comes with a decent keyboard which offers easy and comfortable typing experience.
Best Apple MacBook Laptop for Writers
- Stunning 13.3-Inch Retina Display
- Touch ID and the latest Apple-designed keyboard and force touch trackpad
- Dual-core 8th-Generation Intel Core i5 processor with Intel UHD Graphics 616
- Fast SSD Storage and 8GB memory
- Stereo speakers with wider stereo sound
- Two Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports
- Up to 12 hours of battery life
- OS: macOS Mojave
- 11ac Wi-Fi wireless networking; IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n compatible. Bluetooth 4.2 wireless technology
Apple MacBook Air Review 2019
If you are looking for the best affordable lightweight and portable laptop, Apple MacBook Air is an excellent investment that you can make. This machine will fulfill all your needs, including basic writing tasks, browsing, compiling research paper, and checking emails.
While it is expensive than the others, weighing 2.75 pounds only, it is one of the lightest and most portable laptops on this list. Not to mention, it is the best option for writers who love traveling a lot.
For the performance, this MacBook is powered by 8th Generation Intel Core i5 processor with a clocking speed of 1.6GHz. The clocking speed of this machine can be boosted up to 3.6GHz to deliver more reliable performance.
It is combined with 8GB of RAM and 128GB SSD storage. With this much power, this machine is capable of handling any tasks you throw at it, including running your writing applications and software, browsing multiple tabs, and enjoying some entertainment without any interruptions. The Apple MacBook Air comes with a 13-inch LED-backlit Retina display with 1440×900 resolution.
More interestingly, its Touch ID allows you to log in using your fingerprint. The MacBook incorporates powerful performance and a comfortable keyboard that makes it ideal for any writer. The keyboard offers greater comfort and responsiveness, hence providing you with better writing experience.
And with up to 12 hours of battery life, this laptop gives you more than enough power to handle all your writing needs; and the Mac operating system makes it pretty simple to use.
- Best laptop for writers – Apple MacBook Air
- Best value for money laptop for writers – Acer Aspire E 15 (EE-575-33BM)
- Cheapest laptop for writers and laptop for word processing – Samsung Chromebook 3
As a writer or a blogger, you don’t need a high-end machine to handle your writing; rather, you need something that is consistent and offers reliable performance. Therefore, if you are looking for an affordable, durable, portable and lightweight laptop with impressive battery life, then this list of the best cheap laptops for writers can of great help.
As a professional writer or blogger, you need a laptop that does not get in the way while carrying out your tasks, that’s why we need something portable enough to carry around.
For all my writing needs, I have been Apple MacBook Air for quite some time now and has never been disappointed. It is a sacrifice that I had to make, and I would definitely recommend it to most of my readers.
I hope that this laptop buying guide helps you choose the best budget laptop for writers. Happy writing!
Product information and prices was last updated on 2019-11-14 from Amazon Product Advertising API